Tuesday, June 14, 2011

February & The Mirror Twins

Firstly, I was shocked that the will required Robert to remove all the papers from Elspeth's flat. I had figured beforehand that the twins would discover secrets regarding their family history by looking through Elspeth's diaries and such. This leads me to believe that the twins will need to be more creative in uncovering the truth, maybe by talking with Robert or by exploring other aspects of Elspeth's flat.
Another thing I noticed was that Julia always seems to lead Valentina. For example, the twins both dropped out of college (three times) because Julia didn't want to attend classes anymore. Throughout this chapter it is made clear that Valentina is the more anxious twin and Julia is more headstrong. I think these traits may also apply to their mother and aunt which may be another cause of the tension between them. This may be another reason why Elspeth wanted to leave the flat to the girls, to warn them of possible tension between them and guide them away from it.
I also noticed in this section that Jack "considered that he had ended up with the right sister, after all, and was thankful. He stood smoking, and thought about other ways things might have turned out." This suggests that perhaps the tension between Edie and Elspeth involved Jack in some way. This got me to thinking about how Jack implies that he could choose either sister. Since the women were identical twins it is made clear that he does not base this decision on physical appearance and this leads to another suggestion about a flaw in Elspeth's character.
There was also an allusion made in these pages to the "Des Esseintes' sisters". I do not yet know what this is referring to. If you know please leave a comment otherwise I will try to add an explanation to this post soon.
....
...
..
.

Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

No comments: