Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Flower of the Field

This is a rather sad chapter and I think its main purpose is to describe Robert's frame of mind. This will probably contribute to future actions.
One of the lines that really stuck out to me is "At this moment he knew everything he would ever know of Elspeth..." I think this line is especially powerful because it made me reflect upon the importance of time, information and memories. It is sad to think that it is the end of her story and nothing new will happen from her and this scares Robert. It may also be ironic foreshadowing. In reading the description of the novel it sounds as if Elspeth is keeping secrets that the twins will later discover. So it is possible that Robert has something yet to learn about her. It is easy to detect the fear in Robert as he thinks about losing Elspeth and I think it really captures his love for her and his apprehension at being alone, which is also emphasized later on in the chapter.




Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

No comments: