Monday, August 8, 2011

The History of Her Ghost

I found the idea of this chapter pretty interesting. At first I was surprised that Elspeth's character had returned. I'm assuming she will be in the flat when the twins arrive and I wasn't expecting this to be any kind of ghost story. Not literally anyways. What I found interesting though is Elspeth's perspective. Usually when a writer presents a ghost they are all-knowing. They know their limits, their powers, and their purpose. But it is made quite clear in this chapter that Elspeth knows none of this and she is distressed because of it. In the last line she even wonders if "someone who was already dead could kill herself." I think this perspective offers another way for the author to express her theme of the physical world versus the spiritual one. When more characters come into play I think she will explore this further through Elspeth.
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

No comments: