Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Discussion-Section 1

So how did everyone enjoy the first fifteen chapters of I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings? This first section brings up many issues that will need to be discussed and I look forward to reading your perspectives on this section. Please comment on this post to participate.

Also, I encouraged you all to share songs, videos, pictures, anything you personally related to any section of a novel we read. I want to start this going by sharing a picture that I coincidentally came across a couple of weeks ago on PostSecret.


With that, I will start the first discussion with a comment on this post. 

Sincerely,
Elysia

3 comments:

Elysia said...

I must admit, I am not a huge fan of this novel at this point in time. It seems to simply lay out all the major events of her life with no particular attention to storytelling. She narrates her life story in the simplest way, leaving nothing to the imagination of readers. I also noted what to me seems a poor usage of grammar. I do not know whether this was to emphasize the uneducated state of many of the people she grew up around or whether it is simply part of style.
A quick note on content: The poem that Maya cannot remember seems very symbolic here. "What are you looking at me for? I didn't come to stay..." (page 1) It clearly illustrates Maya's lifestyle. She doesn't stay in one place for too long before she relocates. She also seems very self-conscious in the spotlight. I think these lines of poetry define her childhood, in this section at least.

Joyce said...

I have yet to read sections 1 and 2 for the discussion :S I've been a bit busy with exams but I have to say I was excited to see a PostSecret card on your blog today :)

Joyce said...

I finally read section one and I thought I'd leave a quick comment. This book reminds me of To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee because of the way that the story is viewed from Marguerite's point of view. Through her innocent perspective, we get a chance to understand the logic behind her actions. Its heartbreaking to read about her childish loyalty to adults and her self-blame while her trust is abused and she is raped. :(